Monday 1 September 2014

Mushroom and Gorgonzola Twists

Here is my final Sunday challenge recipe (lets ignore the fact that it's actually Monday...) and although it's the last of the challenges it is also a first for me: the first savoury post on the The Little Yellow Book! This blog was meant to be just for baking cakes and all things sweet, but I do really enjoy cooking, despite the fact that I am a broke student! I love the independence of cooking - and planning - my own meals whilst at uni, so I think I will be putting quite a few savoury recipe posts on here in the future. So, for my final Sunday challenge I made the mushroom and gorgonzola twists from The Great British Bake Off's How to Bake.

It is quite hard to make savoury stuff look as pretty as cakes! 


Ingredients

300g filo pastry (or 6 sheets)
4 large portobello mushrooms
2-3tbsp olive oil
small bunch of parsley
a few sprigs of rosemary
1 large garlic clove, peeled
100g gorgonzola (or any blue cheese)
50g unsalted butter, melted
black pepper

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 190ÂșC. 
  2. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and leave to one side. Heat up your oil in a large frying pan and cook your mushrooms on a medium heat for 5 minutes on each side. 
  3. While the mushrooms are on the hob, chop up the mushroom stalks, the garlic and herbs and season with black pepper. Divide your cheese into quarters and roll it into a rough ball shape. 
  4. Lay out your filo pastry on a work surface and halve it so you have two lots of 3 layers of pastry. Cut the layers into two so you are left with 4 lots of 3 layers. 
  5. Place a mushroom on each square of 3 layers, followed by the garlicky herby mixture and the ball of cheese. 
  6. Brush the edges of each square with melted butter and gather the edges and twist the four corners so its held in place.
  7. Place the filo parcels on a baking tray and brush with more melted butter. Bake for 20 minutes and until the parcels are a lovely golden brown colour. 
  8. Serve them hot with a little salad. Enjoy!
Apologies for the lack of prettiness! 

I think these mushroom and blue cheese twists would make a great starter with a side salad or as a main with baby potatoes and salad. I hope you enjoyed this savoury recipe and let me know if you want to see any more meal ideas on my blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment